Call Council Office 08 8083 8900

Menindee Mission

Menindee's rich Indigenous history includes the Menindee Mission.

Menindee Mission was established in 1933 under the Aborigines Protection Board which was established to manage reserves and control the lives of Aboriginal people. The Menindee Mission had no restrictions on the residences from speaking their traditional language or practicing traditional customs. It is reported that in other reserves and missions all traditional practices were forbidden and so it became hard for Aboriginal societies to pass on the knowledge. The mission site is located up-stream on the Darling River about ten kilometres from Menindee.
 
The Board decided to close the Menindee Mission in 1948, and shift its residents to a new settlement near Murrin Bridge in Wiradjuri country. Most Indigenous people refused to leave the Darling region. Many chose to set up camp at Wilcannia, upstream from Menindee, and some moved to a much smaller reserve near the Menindee railway bridge.
 
The Menindee Mission site today is managed by the Menindee Local Aboriginal Land Council and can be contacted at Yartla Street, Menindee, NSW, 2879, Ph: 08 8091 4541