Call Council Office 08 8083 8900

Tilpa

THE VILLAGE ON THE FLOOD PLAIN

The origin of the name "Tilpa" may be found in the Baakandji word "thulpa", which means "floodwaters", for it is in the vicinity of Tilpa that the Darling River floods up to seventy kilometres wide in major floods.
The village of Tilpa came into existence in 1876 when Arthur Cotton opened a store. James Buckley built the Wee Wattah Hotel where the Tilpa Trading Post is now located in the same year.

By 1894 Cotton's store was owned by David Jones & Co. who sold it to Edmond Perrott who turned it into a hotel named the Royal. This is the existing Tilpa Hotel.

In 1880 a Postal Receiving Office was opened in the store

Tilpa had a school from 1896 till its closure in 1945. At one time the teacher, George Turner, obtained permission to start school at 7.00 am and finish at 1.00 pm because of the extreme heat during summer.

A punt served as the only means of crossing the Darling River at Tilpa until the bridge was completed in December 1963. Prior to a motor being installed on the punt in 1952 it had to be wound across the river by hand. This was a big job when the river was running a banker.

Tilpa has had its share of visitors over the years; Captain Starlight rode through in 1868 and held up several stations, Harry "the Breaker" Morant worked in the district and no doubt visited the pub and Arthur Upfield once did "ten days without the option" in the Tilpa lock-up.

Tilpa also lays claim to have the shortest Heritage Walk in Australia, two signs on opposite sides of the main street, and the Tilpa Cemetery is the only one in Australia, if not the world, to have no one buried in it.State Governors and Premiers have visited Tilpa but the most important people in the Tilpa district are the "locals" who make Tilpa the village and district that it is. Talk to them and learn about this special part of Australia.

There is accommodation in the village and several local properties also have "farm stay" facilities.